New offer – sharpen up during COVID / working from home
COVID has highlighted the flight to quality in executive leadership as ranks are thinned and cream is rising to the top. Many are taking the time to upskill and sharpen focus and we’re happy to be part of that.
We now have a program for people who want to move forward when they don’t have access to corporate funding. If you’ve always wanted to work with us but have not been able to fund a project we’ve now got options for self-funded coaching.
Delivered by Zoom or your favourite video conference system, we deliver short focused 45 minute sessions at a location of your choice. This means we can work with you no matter where you are.
To find out more, just click on the button below and let us know what you’d like to achieve.
What people said about the pilot sessions
Just in from a senior executive from one of Australia’s largest and most complex agencies.
What was the most useful thing that you got out of the process?
Discovery and visible growth. Todd is exceptional at challenging assumptions and ways of thinking. I discovered new ways of thinking and applied learnings in both a personal and professional setting. The slingshot effect is powerful and exciting. I explored untouched areas where I didn’t dare to examine earlier. Now, I am driven for more, and comfortable about future possibilities and opportunities.
How likely are you to recommend us to a friend or colleague? And why?
Todd crafted a bespoke package that provided exceptional attention to detail, offering bursts of astonishments that grow into long-lasting life changing outcomes.
What would you say to someone about the service if asked?
The service is not a standard cookie-cutter approach—instead, an elegant, eloquent delivery to the highest standard with proven results in an effortless manner.
Structured coaching and mentoring for risk and assurance leaders
“Thanks for today, I always get so much out of our sessions.” Head of Audit & Risk for an ASX 20 Company
“I found every interaction with Todd to be beneficial from the point of view of new perspectives and ideas.” Chief Risk Officer, Major Wealth Management Company
“I learn something every time we talk.” Regular comment from experienced senior executives and Audit and Risk Committee Chairs
What we do
Todd Davies supports Chief Auditors and Chief Risk Officers of Australia’s best known organisations through structured coaching and mentoring programs.
Using a defined program with regular check-state and feedback we work with our clients to:
- Understand their baseline
- Refine their goals
- Prioritise and set clear pathways for success
- Access the most relevant techniques and lessons learned
- Take a proactive approach to managing stakeholders
- Act as a sounding board during implementation.
Through structured, regular sessions we can support your Chief Auditor and Chief Risk Officers in a timely and cost-effective way to work through the issues of the day, to achieve focus and to iron out the kinks in implementation.
Our clients achieve increased effectiveness, increased buy-in, less push back, greater relevance, confidence and executive presence and boardroom cut through as a result.
Most are promoted or have increased executive influence within a short time after working with us. This has included some of Australia’s leading female Chief Auditor and Chief Risk Officers at ASX 50 companies.
We also do structured programs for the next generation of leaders and can generally structure things to suit.
Where we fit.
We see four segments in this space.
It’s important to understand the different roles that they play – all of which are valid.
- The professional coach focuses you as a person, often tapping into a range of psych models, self-awareness and deep self-reflection. They contribute in a significant way without needing a record of achievement in your chosen career path. They are foundational, and good ones stay with you for life. Choose wisely.
- The coach-mentor is someone you respect professionally and has travelled a path that is relevant to your own. Great mentors have had breakthrough success that involved struggle and risk. They are not people who just got lucky. You are likely to follow aspects of their path, so make sure they are someone you admire greatly and will learn a lot from.
- The sponsor is someone with professional standing who is prepared to use their reputation and network to help open doors. In selecting sponsors, go for those with the best reputation and highest quality networks, but expect them to guard this carefully. Expect to put in the long haul to earn their respect. Also expect access to be commensurate with the value of their time. There are no short cuts here.
- The vocational coach mentor is someone who’s focus is on helping you to be the best you can be in your chosen field. They embody all of the above and are committed to you and your craft. They can and should deep dive on any topic and help you get clarity with the real-world complexity in your role. This is where we sit.
Who we work with
Todd works with chief auditors, chief risk officers and audit and risk committee members.
Our work ranges from:
- New to role, and wanting to master their craft
- Experienced in role and looking for the next breakthrough
- Experienced in role and wanting to stay at the top of their game
- Experienced in role and wanting to check their thinking
- Emerging leaders ready for their next breakthrough.
Our sessions are delivered via Zoom or a video conference format of your choice. Face to face sessions are also available based on our travel schedule (limited during COVID).
Three ways to get started
We normally get started in one of three ways:
A project or strategy session is working together to solve a particular problem and achieve breakthroughs in thinking and performance. It is deliberately short term focused and solves an immediate need. This normally starts with a strategy session and is a very good way to get to know each other and a feel for fit and capabilities (from both sides) while also having a clear tangible outcome that’s based on best thinking.
Usually, a project is bite-size a specific focused outcome in mind. Leadership development is the by-product but not the primary reason for hiring us.
A program is broader than a single project and has a longer duration. This may be focused around the projects, or leadership development, leading the team and function or a combination.
A coaching program is focused on personal development and performance first and specific short-term outcomes second. The work informs the discussion but is the context rather than the primary focus or reason for engagement.
All three are valid ways to engage us. We always aim to deliver personal and organisational outcomes and find it hard to do one without also addressing the other.
Examples of what we do
Most of our conversations are grounded in real world challenges that our clients are dealing with at that point of time.
The Audit / Risk Committee chat
Before meeting with their Audit Committee Chair and presenting to the Audit Committee, some CAEs will have a trial run with Todd.
Todd will run through their pack, stress test it and ask the difficult questions ahead of the meeting as part of their preparation. He’ll also give advice on what the committee members are probably thinking about, and what their angle is on the papers presented, as well as what they need to cover off from a board perspective in addition to their specific audit committee remit.
Briefing and debriefing afterwards also allows discussion of some of the subtle cues given by the directors, and for the new Chief Auditors to handle themselves and lead the discussion in a manner far beyond their years.
The accidental/new CAE, CRO or ARC member or chair
When people are new to these roles they’ll often do a crash course with us to understand what’s required of them and hit the ground running.
The comprehensive review
We also use our ARC pack review deep dives to see the full breadth of the work product for the year as a specific and highly accountable coaching method, grounded in tangible specifics and fine detail where required.
The turbo charge
Sometimes people just need to add a little sizzle to the steak, get clarity or breakthrough on a challenge. We do lots of these.
You’ve heard the old saying – what got you here won’t get you there. We work with executives to have long lasting breakthoughs. (Most often we switch between turbo boost and slingshot from session to session depending on what our client needs in that session).
Bespoke and fun
We’ve even been known to put programs together of mock committee meetings – training executives on how to prepare before putting them through their paces in a live session. These have been very well received.
When you’re ready book a time to talk
If you are responsible for leading audit, risk or related functions and want to take things to the next level, or be more effective as a leader, we can find something to fit your budget.
Click the button below to take the first step.
We’ll then send you a few questions and get the ball rolling.
While you’re here
- Are you taking on a new role or getting ready for a move? Our first 90 days series has been the playbook for new chief auditors for more than 10 years and is portable for anyone in governance, risk and compliance leadership roles. It’s free. Find out more here.
- Did you know that Todd is now available via South Australia’s leading women’s development program? This is our broadest coaching offer. If you’re a female leader who wants boardroom and executive effectiveness while being across the risk agenda in an effective and simple way you can access Todd through the Behind Closed Doors team here.
Looking for executive search? Click here to find out what we do, how we do it and how it relates to everything else we do.